Saturday, February 28, 2009

A letter written in an old style that was usual for the 1840s merchants, trappers and traders.

26 FEBy, 2009
Coffee's Station
on Red river, at the mouth of cache creek
in the comanche country

Ladies & gentlemen, ne'er-do-wells, & other interested parties,

I take pen in hand, hoping a kind & munificient Creator bestoes health & joy & good fortune upon each & all.

I recently passed thru NE Texas, returning from Ft. Smith, on a trip refered to in a previous missive. I encountered several Caddos & some Wichitas along my way, & even travelled in their company when we both advanced the same direction. They were pleasantly dissposed individuals, & were fine travelling companions. But the most enjoyable portion of the entire foray occured, when, on the return segment of the trip, I happened, for a brief time, to throw in with a Red River fur brigade, out-bound for the Double Mtn & Clear Forks of the Brazos. Though the majority were scoundrels, they made fine companions, nontheless, & I count myself fortunate to have traveled in their company, even if for such a short interlude. Among their number was a Cajun fellow, who was the cheif cook for the entire party, & was very adept at culinary concoctions. I was invarialby invited to their mess with an open-handed generosity, and consider the fare set before me as "Fust Rate Doin's!"

Also in the "previous missive", alluded to above, I mentioned Col Coffee had procured some building materials, & that I wood advise upon their arrival at this place. They are here. The freighter conveying said materials crept upon us with all the stealth of a bobcat prowling for supper. We had no idea said materials were even in the area; yet this AM, here they were. The freighter, who was driving several fine yoke of mechanical oxen, was a Choctaw. He conversed quite capapbly in both his natural tounge and English, and was dressed as is common among Americans occupied in the same enterprise. He also was well versed in both Chickasaw and Comanche, a result, he explained, of frequent business interactions with those people & hisself. He had quite a sense of humor about him, & it Seems he first became acquainted with Mssrs. Colville & Coffee in Ft.Smith several years ago, due to sundry business arraingments between the 3 men. As I am unaware, exactly, of the nature of this business, other than it was mutually profitable for all parties involved, I will with hold comment or speculation upon it. As for this most recent transaction, said acquaintence was, as those prior, to mutual advantage of all concerned, as is, I suppose, evident in the fact that the logs are here.

From here, the Choctaw fellow related, he was bound for the Washita, to fullfil yet another business obligation, engaged in with others thayn the proprieters of this place, & for which, he indicated, the remuneration would be handsome. No small wonder, considering the types of goods, distance, rough country & risk involved.

Many have been anxiously awaiting the arrivel of these logs and this news. I request that, at your convience, you would inform me as to when the handling of these logs would be most suitable & best coincied with your social agenda. I will anticipate your reply with the return post. As the few Wichita women who were here to trade this morning have concluded their business, I shall venture out into the sunshine, which is bathing the trade room porch with a brite warmth, unseasonal for FebY. There I will enjoy myself a pipeful, wishing that you are ever mindful that I am

Sincerely yores

Tim Poteete

No comments:

Post a Comment